Lauren K, where are you today?

The adventures of Lauren K, going cross-country.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

America The Beautiful!

Aug 11 - My mom and my sister flew out to Denver to drive back to Philadelphia with me. It was a much anticipated trip, with visions of grand sightseeing and girl bonding floating in our heads. I picked them up at the airport, and we headed off to Colorado Springs. The next day, we planned to visit Pikes Peak and Garden of the Gods. Knowing the cog railway for Pikes Peak sold out quickly, we got there early in the morning. Success! The ride up was beautiful, and we could really feel the change in the air temperature. Unfortunately, right after we took this picture, my mom slipped and broke her ankle. The EMTs wrapped it up the best they could, and we decided the quickest way down was to take the hour and a half train back down. We sang "America the Beautiful" at Inspiration Point, the spot where Katharine Lee Bates wrote the words. We even got applause. My mom is doing well in recovery,
and we're talking about taking a road trip next summer. Keep your fingers crossed!